Rather lengthy post below that I felt compelled to write.
So We’re Stopping Kingdom Scanlation
Around half a week ago we noticed 3 things:
- Anime Destiny’s release of episode 38 on the 26th of February mentioned kewl0210 would be releasing the manga with Vendetta Scans.
- He began speed translating chapters at mangahelpers.com here and editting all his previous chapters to include the reserved for vendetta scans message.
- Vendetta scans had announced a mysterious new project to be released this week.
Not hard to put 2 and 2 together.
Having already basically done volume 4, we released it anyway but were pretty certain at this point we wouldn’t be continuing much longer hence the “bad news” back on our Chapter 30-32 release here.
On Vendetta Scans
Not releasing a manga another group was doing (assuming they werent releasing it ridiculously slow) is one of those unspoken etiquette codes, meaning that we have no way to enforce it and also that we have no desire to continue in work that is going to be done anyway, albeit, to a different standard.
Unlike anime, where a limited number of shows are released per season, there is a gigantic volume of work in manga that remains untranslated which is why we’ve never understood why people do this in the first place. It reminds me of back in 2006 or something where you had 15 groups translating one piece and everyone just gave up and downloaded null since it could be trusted to not be utter shit.
I think, ultimately, what really ticks us off is the fact that no one even bothered to contact us simply informing us of their intentions and thus wasting even more of our time.
On The Scans Themselves
It goes without saying that they’re of adequate quality. This isn’t to say we think our scans are superior, we just think that both our scans and theirs are neither excellent nor complete garbage.
We have some gripes with some of the translations of kewl0210, especially as we flipped through his later translations, since he/she seems to have decided to translate as quickly as possible and literally, without paying much attention if the sentence makes sense or flows on to the next. There doesn’t seem to be any editor either to catch this and the QC doesn’t seem to actually QC or TLC any of the actual text (by the way, umlauts and accents don’t exist in the wild words typeset so you can’t just copy and paste the name Lu onto the page, it just turns into L?).
Their dedication to translating the SFX, however, is pretty noteworthy (as we skipped over any we thought were adequately represented in the visual cues), although I’m not sure the english audience understands many of the literal japanese sounds such as yoro which implies “wobble”.
The typesetter’s also the same person doing Clover scans which basically means you have weird gigantic bold/italicised fonts for some dialogues even when they’re just saying the sentence normally. Mr Shi, for example, would never raise his voice against Mr Ketsu because he’s a subordinate and liable to get his head chopped off, nonetheless somehow his speech suddenly turns into type 24 badaboom at times which is pretty fun to read.
At the end of the day, this is minor, and so long as they continue to release at a decent pace and without losing any further quality, it’s alright. With 5 people on the staff, we honestly don’t see why a group wouldn’t be able to release something like 8-10 chapters a week if two gooks traveling and working abroad in South-East Asia can manage 3 chapters while redrawing in capsule and backpacker hostels.
In the end, we began scanlating Kingdom because we felt that the english speaking community would enjoy the manga greatly and if the job is being done, then that’s that.
- Depending on how fast Vendetta Scans releases we may or may not release ~6 chapters of volume 5 just to finish off the 1st arc. Currently the chapters are already translated with minor editting and typeset.
- If Vendetta Scans ever drops the project or speed drops down to something ridiculous like 1 chapter a week, it’s likely we’ll randomly step in and release just cos we be somewhat pissed.
- Wright from Happyscans asked us a while back if we were interested in taking up any other projects. Not really still. We’d have to find a project that we both really liked, because we aren’t going to do it unless both of us are enthusiastic about it, and also think that a lot of people would like to read, because your feedback keeps us doing it. Time to look forward to the FFXIV:ARR and Elder Scrolls MMO.
Thank you all for your comments on this wordpress or on batoto, I hope you’ve enjoyed the few chapters we did release and while we hoped to continue doing this for a much longer period of time, things usually don’t turn out as you expect them to; C’est la Vie and life goes on.